Monday, August 29, 2011

The Book Thief Quote

"There would be punishment and pain, and there would be happiness, too. That was writing"

I tried to write a whole long response to this line, but it ended up turning out far too similar to my Glass Castle post, so I'm not going to put it up. Taken from The Book Theif when the main character is given a journal to write in and told not to punish herself too much for having hurt someone else, this perfectly illustrates where Liesel Meminger and I connect-- on writing being a way to process and think, on writing being brutally honest- reflective of life and where it stands at the moment. We connect not on stealing books or more tangible and visible aspects of our separate, respective lives, but rather on a mutual love for words, infatuation with literature, and on her idea of a library filled with books and pages being such a happy place. Though the length of this post will make it seem as though I have not gotten much out of this, I have. And though I didn't want to repeat myself in a long ramble, I just had to do something with this line.

1 comment:

  1. love. this. good to see you today, nora. so sad you aren't sitting in my classroom. sigh. BUT so excited for new journeys for you.

    ReplyDelete