Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Two nights in Paris is not enough, now all I can focus on is how I must go back

I took a corny picture, I wrote a corny post. Oh well, I happen to love chliche's.
...This started out as being a poem, but I'm not really sure that that's what it is anymore.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I am in love with the world.
Not travel, but the idea of travel.
I am in love with Venice and India and Scotland and Santorini and New Zealand.
I am in love before first sight.

I have this feeling in the pit of my stomach- this urge- this pull to lie out somewhere in the English countryside where all I can see for miles is green and all I can hear is a stream trickling or a far-off cow mooing. I yearn to wander through a Parisian street market, buying strawberries and roses from a woman who does not speak my language or ride a horse across the shallow waters of a beach that is too beautiful to exist beyond a computers desktop background. I need to explore some old vineyard in Italy or castle in Ireland. I have to run across a field in Africa, climb through a forsest in Costa Rica.
I need to see the things that cannot be real, that I can not fathom, until I see them.

Not even so glamourous though.
Really, anything will do.
I could ride across the U.S. or just stay somewhere upstate. I need somewhere that's not here- a place with no people or different people. A place with trees and fresh air and good food that I don't have to worry about eating. A place where I can be someone else or myself or whatever it is that I want to be, when I figure that out. Because more than scenic beauty, I need freedom.
I've got what every kid gets at some point- a strong, lasting case of wanderlust.

Sometimes, when my mood is high, and my imagination is wild, I can turn my backyard into a secret, overgrown garden. The old wooden bench becomes a precious, weathered antique and our small tool shed is a cottage with its own story- vines growing up the walls and wild roses at its base.

Sometimes, at night, as I lie in bed and feel the summer breeze slither through the sheets to me and hear the occasional cars passing by, I can close my eyes and imagine the bottle of red wine and slice of french cheese lying next to me- I'm suddenly 22 years old. My window becomes the open doors of a balcony in Montmartre, Paris. Distant chattering is some french dinner party in the next building over.

Everything is perfect.

Then, I open my eyes to see my block in Brooklyn, New York lying beyond the lace curtains and my heart sinks. The distant chattering is my neighbors coming back from a late show, the cars are all American-made. The breeze- which I'm sure, is not nearly as wonderful as the one in Paris's nights- comes through, not a balcony, but a window which, even open, traps me and confines me inside the house and the life that is mine.
Until I close my eyes again.

2 comments:

  1. This is gorgeous nora, not clichéd and at all. I liked your far-off cow moo-ing and the descriptions of "wanderlust" paris and the english countryside were beautiful.

    ReplyDelete