Monday, November 15, 2010

Silly how things end, isn't it?


SPOILER ALERT!!!! IF YOU HAVE NOT READ HARRY POTTER AND THE
DEATHLY HALLOWS, STOP READING HERE.

But seriously, what earth are you waiting for????


When I read over the scene of Hedwig's death I cannot help but be dissapointed by it's length and lack of intensity. The first time I read it, I felt so overwhelmingly confused and guilty. Why wasn't I crying? What the hell was the matter with me? This was Hedwig- Hedwig who just died and I was just sitting there. When Sirius died I couldn't contain myslef- my mom thought I was having some sort of attack, locked up in my bedroom. I cried when Cedric Diggory got killed and I cried when Hagrid's hippogriff nearly got killed, and god knows that Hedwig is far more important than Hagrid's Hippogriff. The last 100 pages of the Half Blood Prince is destroyed from my tears. So why couldn't I cry when Hedwig died? Her death was certainly important enough- that wasn't the issue. Was it simply that the way she died wasn't important enough? Sure, she can't talk so, it can't be dramatic in that respect- last words and all. But, somehow I feel like it should be more than just:
"No - HEDWIG"
A second's relief, and then another burst of green light. The owl screeched and fell to the floor of the cage.
"No - NO!"
"Hedwig - Hedwig -"
But the owl lay motionless and pathetic as a toy on the floor of her cage. He could not take it in, and his terror for the others was paramount.
And that's it- she's dead.
Hedwig who has been with Harry always- through thick and thin.
Hedwig who was with Harry wherever he went- who stayed with him at Howarts and who left with him in the summers.
Hedwig- who served as his only connection to the world in which he belonged during those long months spent with the Dursleys.
Hedwig who was given to him by Hagrid days before beginning at Hogwarts for the very first time when he was 11 years old. And now, 6 years later, only 53 pages into the 7th and final book, she's dead. And, no more than a half a page was dedicated to this tragic event.

Now, you may say that I'm overreacting- she's just an owl, right? Not even a major character. Not nearly as important as Sirius or Dumbledore or Ron or Hermione or Lupin or even Ginny. She doesn't deserve so much attention. But that's not true- if I've learned anything at all about what Dumbledore or Ron or Hermione or Sirius or Lupin thought was right, it's that all creatures are equal- all types of living things should be treated with the same respect and, going by that rule, Hedwig is possibly Harry's very best friend in the world, right?

So why does she get this pathetic ending? It's as if she almost fades away without anyone even noticing, anyone even caring. Had someone skipped a paragraph of reading, they never would have even known she died. They would have assumed that she was just mentioned less or left behind on their grand adventure or killed so unimportantly that J.K. Rowling didn't even bother to mention it. I don't think that Hedwig deserves that, do you?

4 comments:

  1. NORA CHANGE YOUR PICTURE RIGHT NOW OR I WILL SUE. OR I'LL CALL YOUR DAD AND WE'LL HAVE A PARTY WITHOUT YOU. OR I'LL SABOTAGE SCARLET AND GRAY DAY AND WIN EVERYTHING SO THAT YOU WILL LOSE. CHANGE. IT. by the way nice blog post. NOW CHANGE IT. no i'm actually being serious this is on the WORLD WIDE INTERNET HELLO?!?!? no change it please.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my gosh i totally said world wide internet even though it's world wide web. okay audrey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WHAT?!?!?!?!?!? YOU READ THE POST??!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?! IT HAS SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I CANNOT BELIEV YOU!!!!!!! AHHHHHHHHH NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

    ReplyDelete
  4. nora, this is a really valid argument that i hadn't considered before. you should bring it up at book club...and go back and add a spoiler alert!! :)

    ReplyDelete